The campers are children and adults with disabilities. The minimum age for attendance is five years old. There is no maximum age for campers.
What We Offer
- Shady Oaks Camp provides outdoor fun and recreation for children and adults with disabilities.
- Our camp programs are designed to enrich the quality of life of our campers.
- Our campers benefit from a broad range of interaction with other campers, our staff, and visitors.
- Our camp is organized with the goal of providing stimulating life experiences that our campers may not have the opportunity to engage in elsewhere.
We are now accepting applications for membership into Shady Oaks Camp for summer of 2020. Attendance at SOC requires an active membership. For more info please see our 2020 Nutshell Camp Flyer , camp application and health history form.
Deadline to reserve spot for summer 2020 is May 15th, 2020.
- The camp is located in Homer Glen, Illinois, approximately 35 miles southwest of downtown Chicago, and was built specifically around the special needs of these campers.
- Shady Oaks provides eight weeks of camping for up to 50 male and female campers. Programs at the camp include planned recreation, games, arts and crafts, and swimming. All are tailored to the capabilities and limitations of each individual camper.
- At Shady Oaks, every summer since 1947, these campers enjoy many recreational activities between the months of June and August. These activities include movies, swimming, song fests, handicrafts, parties and specially adapted games.
- In addition to in-camp activities, there are field trips which enable campers to participate in everyday life experiences. Field trips may include Brookfield and Lincoln Park Zoos, minor league baseball games, museums, theaters, and other places of interest within the greater Chicago area.